April 1st is a day long reserved for jokes. One might find a few humorous blogs and social media posts meant to be taken seriously. Some people are extra cautious on April Fool’s Day, too, in order to avoid falling victim to pranks. Others, no doubt, have made the decision to stay offline until Saturday.
Enjoy a good, wholesome laugh today if you can. One thing that isn’t a joke, of course, is joint pain. As we begin a new month, and with Spring soon to come, it’s a good time to revisit important facts about joint health, care, and injury prevention.
Facts About Joint Pain
- According to the CDC, approximately one in every four American adults suffers some type of arthritis and joint pain. This is roughly fifteen million people.
- Of this number, about half the affected population experiences persistent pain.
- Among arthritis patients reporting their condition, nearly half the population is over the age of 65.
- More female patients than men are diagnosed and treated for joint pain.
- The CDC reports that arthritis and related conditions are a leading cause of disability in the workplace.
- People with joint pain are more likely to suffer falls and other injuries than healthier people.
- Presently there is no cure for arthritis and joint pain. These conditions may be minimized through a number of methods, including medication, physical therapy, and minimally invasive surgery.
At Bon Secours Virginia Orthopaedic and Spine Specialists, our physicians and therapists work with patients daily to improve overall quality of life. Don’t let another season pass with chronic pain keeping you from your favorite activities. Contact us today to learn more about our programs and how we can help you increase your mobility and flexibility.